These 90-minute classes are deeply nourishing and relaxing guided meditations.
Yoga Nidra, also known as ‘yogic sleep’ or ‘sleep with awareness’, takes you into a trance-like state that induces full-body relaxation and a deeply meditative state of consciousness. Allow yourself some time once a month to rejuvenate and relax with a calming, restorative and balancing Yoga Nidra practice.
In Yoga Nidra you begin by finding your perfect relaxation position often supported by props (bolsters, pillows blankets and eye bags) and are then guided into a state of deep relaxation. This is an effortless practice, the only requirement is to relax!
Yoga Nidra is a state of consciousness between waking and sleeping – a liminal space. Your body is completely relaxed and you become increasingly aware of your inner world by following verbal instructions. Yoga Nidra is a process for entering into an effortless state of being. Although literally translated it means ‘yogic sleep’, in fact it is not a sleep, but an awakening.
“Yoga Nidra is a great treasure, a potent meditative resource for healing, insight, and empowerment. It’s a state of consciousness in which we are invited to re-encounter the essential truth of who we really are. Yoga Nidra provides us with the opportunity to experience deep freedom. It welcomes us all home to ourselves.”
Dr Uma Dinsmore-Tuli Co-Founder of the Yoga Nidra Network.
The practice of Yoga Nidra has been found to reduce tension and anxiety as it allows the body to come to a place of stillness where the physical body and mind can find balance.
- Sessions take place on the first Friday of each month from 19:00 to 20:30. Please see the Equanimity Yoga Facebook page for dates.
- Each session will include a short (roughly 15 minute) Yoga Nidra followed by snacks of fruits and chocolate! Then a longer (roughly 40 minute) Yoga Nidra followed by more snacks and some time to come round before you return to the outside world.
- No prior yoga experience is required. All abilities welcome.
- The sessions costs £10. Places are confirmed on receipt of payment.
- Spaces are limited. Booking essential.
Please see the classes page for details of all Equanimity Yoga classes.